Tuesday, April 29, 2014

"Let's Get Down to the Nitty Gritty...Let's Get This Show on the Road"

I caught wind of the 2013 IT100/50 last March, but had already committed to Planet Adventure's 50K at Winona Lake in early April.  I'm not big on running two ultras so close together, so I passed on IT100/50.  However, I vowed to make it my first 50M event of 2014.  

The long, cold winter was tough on everyone...but I really tried to not let it affect my training.  I sucked it up and spent lots of time on the treadmill and running stairs at my gym.  I also took spin classes and rode the spin bike by myself more.  All of this helped me get through the Land Between the Lakes 60K in horrendous conditions.  Miles and miles of slop and water to trudge through.  But as many ultra runners allude to, it builds character and helps you out in tough times down the road.  

Met up with a few nice folks here!
 I spent the Friday morning before the race at work, finishing up some post-inventory work.  Once I left there, I was able to gather my things and hang with a friend for awhile.  We ate at Pizza Hut and just generally goofed off and had a great time together, which put me in a light, breezy mood.  I hit the road for Chain O' Lakes (in Albion, IN) a tad later than I wanted, but arrived there at 7:30pm and decided to push my luck for packet pickup (which ended at 7pm).  Thankfully, RD Mike took the time to get my packet.  Of course, I left my bib there, but he messaged me immediately and I was able to snag it the next morning.  Settled into the hotel in Columbia City and was asleep, I think, by 10:30pm.  

2014 IT 100/50
 Promising weather and trail conditions had me totally geeked for the race.  Using my confidence from LBL60K and my winter/early-spring training, I was obsessed with running a sub-9:00:00 50M.  I had not run this course since the 2011 HUFF, which ended with me in the hospital the following evening with severe dehydration.  I believe this was due to pushing my body past its limits because of the brutal trail conditions (mud, water) and not hydrating properly post-race.  But that was then.  This was now.  I was ready.  

The race kicked off at 6am amidst a steady flow of headlamps leading out of the start chute and onto the trails.  It was dark, but the sun would be up within an hour.  The temperature was perfect and the trails were in superb condition.  My game plan was to run the first loop conservatively, possibly even right at 3:00:00, then start chipping away at the next two loops by periodic surges and attacking the hills.  I was placing my faith in all the treadmill incline and stairclimbing work I had done since the start of 2014.   I also firmly believe that all the time I had spent in the dry sauna at the gym had transformed my body into a super-efficient sweating and cooling machine.  

Beautiful weather!

I made sure to hit every aid station and drink at least two cups of Gatorade, and to fill my water bottle with water.  I snacked on fig newtons and PBJ sandwiches (cut into quarters).  I also had gels, Clif Bars and B12 energy shots with me in my pack.   

Instead of using a drop bag, I had supplies in my vehicle, so as I neared the end of the first loop I simply peeled off the course for a few yards, loaded up and got back onto the course.  This involved grabbing my iPod and firing it up.  Great!  Tunes, rhythm, zoning out and getting into a groove...for 8 miles.  It died halfway through the loop, so I was back to listening to my own thoughts.  Since I usually train with an iPod, this was unfamiliar territory.  But I adapted and settled in for the miles that lay ahead.  
 
Loop 2 ended with 5:54:38 showing on the clock, so I had 3 hours and 5 minutes to cover 16.67 miles.  My legs were feeling OK and mentally I was feeling strong, but I wasn't sweating as much as I normally did...and that concerned me.  I gulped a little more Powerade and water at my vehicle than I normally would have, praying my stomach could handle it.  Taking off onto the trails, I was repeating to myself "You want sub-9? You fucking go get it.  Do it right now."  
 
Found myself in a great groove all day. 
 I made a real effort to push the pace when I could, wondering when The Beast would show up.  I was ready to do some wraslin' with her.  She never made an appearance, so I kept hammering at a steady, consistent pace.  The miles rolled on, and I could feel myself tiring but I would not take anything over 9 hours.  I just wouldn't.  I hit the last aid station at 8:25:29, leaving me 34 minutes to cover 2.67 miles.  Barring a catastrophe, that sub-9:00:00 50M was mine.  
I ascended a few steep hills leading out of the aid station and then settled back into the groove that had gotten me through the first 48 miles.  I was coming up fast on a runner ahead of me, and as we both climbed a hill, he looked back and saw me.  He broke into a run and pulled away.  I tried to catch him but he was too strong.  Even though he had escaped, I met my overall goal of clocking under 9 hours, which I did when I crossed the finish line at 8:54:01.  Jubilation, exhaustion, relief, gratitude and ecstasy were among the emotions that overwhelmed me.  Upon receiving my finisher's medal ("Always earned, never given"), I walked around for a few minutes away from the runner's tent to gather my thoughts.  I wept briefly and silently.  Tears of joy and gratefulness to be able to do what I love, which is to explore my body and mind's limits.  I also wept because I thought of my friends and family, who have been nothing but supportive in my journey into the ultra world.  
The next morning I returned to the park, chipper and with minimal soreness.  It was breathtaking to watch a few 100M finishers, who had endured all night to cross that finish line, many whom had been on the course over 24 hours.  
As I drove home, I reflected on what a wonderful, rewarding weekend it was...while also planning my assault on the Park2Park Relay Ultra in June.  Onward and upward!  

Ultra #9 in the books.

All smiles post-race!

***  Special thanks to all the volunteers that made this event happen, not least of which the ones at the school house aid stations that sprayed me down with sunblock on multiple occasions.  Thanks!   ***

No comments:

Post a Comment