Monday, July 30, 2012

Have a cup of coffee and catch your breath.

I had a very weird dream last night.  They (who, exactly?) say all dreams have meaning.  What, then, does this one mean? 

I open the door to step outside into near whiteout conditions.  It's cold, dark, and I can barely see.  The wind is howling, it's snowing, and there's several inches of snow on the ground.  I am in a hurry, and I run to my car and start it up.  I let it run for a bit, and then carefully start driving down the road.  But...something is wrong.

The car doesn't seem to be moving as fast as it should be.  I accelerate, but pick up no speed.  It's almost like something is weighing me down.  "Could just be the extreme cold," I thought.  "But why does my car feel so...so...heavy?" 

And then I see it.

It was not noticeable at first, as I did a double take.  It was hanging down off the roof onto my windshield.  A white paw.  Not just any white paw.  A very LARGE white paw.  The size of a child's baseball mitt.  With black padding.  "Ummmm, what the...?"

I slowed down to less than 10 mph and rolled down my window and, as carefully and quietly as I could, stuck my head out of the window and peeked up onto the roof. 

Yep.  A polar bear was on the roof of my car. 

There it was, taking up the entire roof of my car, just sleeping.  I rolled up the window and tried to comprehend what, exactly, was happening.  I picked up a little speed and then applied the brakes sharply, wondering if I'd see him roll down onto the front of my car.  No such luck.  The paw disappeared, and I wondered if he was stirring...

...and he was.  I could hear the roof of my car groaning and straining under his enormous weight.  Panic was setting in at this point.  This had to be a dream, it had to be!  I watched as the speedometer crept up to 40, then 50mph and I suddenly braked and turned left sharply.  I slid for what seemed to be an eternity and looked over my right shoulder as the bear flew off of the roof, rolled several times into the snow, and disappeared.  I had no idea where I was but all I knew was that I was back on the road and a polar bear was no longer on the roof of my car.

Thought all day about what it could mean, but could not figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment